search this blog

Loading...

21.2.12

homemade dim sum

I love dim sum. I think it's fun to make, delicious to eat and versatile.


Here is my mix (actually I was inspired by a French book about dim sum and I mixed different recipes to make my own.



for about 30 to 50 pieces:
The dough:
350g flour (I used semolina, the same flour used for fresh pasta) 
115ml boiling water
60ml cold water
1 pinch of salt
1 tbsp of oil (I used olive oil)
Mix the boiling water with the flour using a wooden spoon or spatula. When the mix start to smooth, add the cold water and the salt. Add the cold water 1 spoon at a time so you can check the texture (if it's too dry add more if not, don't).
Knead the dough until smooth and souple. As the book said, it should be the texture of the ear lobe.
Add the oil and knead to incorporate.
Form a ball then divide into small balls that you'll spread onto circles as thin as you can. I used a pastry roll but I should have used a pasta machine as I got tired in the end and couldn't get my dough thin enough!

For the filling:
370g thinly minced beef
3 dry shiitake mushrooms: rehydrate them in hot water for about 15 minutes, drain then mince
3 minced spring onions
2 tsp grated ginger (fresh) 
1 kaffir lime leaf (if it's dry, rehydrate it with hthe mushrooms) 
1 egg
2 tsp of nuoc-nâm
1 tsp of ciseled fresh coriander

Mix all the ingredients and leave in the fridge if you don't use it directly. 


To make the dim sum, put a little of the filling on the dough and fold. There are different folding possible but in any case, for the side to stick, you should water it lightly and press. 

To cook: cover the bottom of a steam basket with cooking paper (parchment) in which you previously made holes. Steam for 10 to 15 minutes. 
Here is the sauce from the book I was inspired from (called Dim Sum, written by Mikaël Petrossian, published at Marabout):
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp water
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame seeds

Here is my sauce:
1 tsp sake
4 tbsp tamari
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp shichimi togarashi

There was a little left over dough so I made noodles that I steamed as well and served with the same sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment